Friday, April 03, 2020

A TIME TO SIT WITH THE TREES

Just a scrawl



















Update December 3, 2022: This post turned out to be a seed of a poem which was eventually developed enough to be accepted into a brand new anthology titled It's All Connected: Feminist Fiction and Poetry (Spinifex Press). See more in today's new post Poetry — It's All Connected.

Walt Whitman watches as I approach his table Oh you again he says   I’m not in the mood  he looks perplexed Ignoring him I sit under the depiction of a famous portrait of the poet Watercolour and ink I think

Eventually without realizing it I fold into the same position – physical that is  I don’t realize it until another customer excuses himself I’m sorry I just have to tell you you look exactly like the picture behind you – have you seen it? I’ve forgotten the detail, turn and there we are mirror image hand on chin staring … Walt stares across the quiet cafĂ© out through the glass into the streets where a pandemic is unfolding

I am cramming on space weather and real weather while bare earth too slowly washes green and groves of sorry trees freshen expand their curling leaves



 **

This is from March 5. With work, workshops, poetry readings and you name it cancelled and everyone in at least semi self isolation it’s a time to ‘Go and sit in a grove or woods …’ (provided you don't have to travel to get there). More about Walt Whitman* and the wisdom of trees here:

And this website features the original study:

*Yes I did have Walt Wisdom!! I've corrected it.

2 comments: