Saturday, July 11, 2015

TAKING CARE - POEMS



TAKING CARE

She
folded arms over breasts
collapsing into herself
fixes a smile a modest nod

He
takes up position
hand on the bed end or on a hip
waves his other at full length
swings around
takes in the whole ward
His blasé eyes


STROKES

When you can’t walk your whole life changes
In the mornings the nurse has to shower me …
It can’t be easy
I think it’s great!
You don’t miss a stroke


A CHAMPION
In the shop doorway
I ask him how his wife is
He tells me about himself
Famous in his own land
How his daughter wants
Something
To put in front of her mother
To make her happy 
Now he is able to say
Tearfully
He is very worried
She is very sick


THEY’VE HAD NEWS
I am without words  she says 
in a voice without colour  
her chin hangs fingers splay 
She speaks to the back 
of his head  he has nothing 
to say either


I’ve been here every day for weeks
And for much longer?

            No … not now … not now

© Lizz Murphy



No comments:

Post a Comment